Poe. Oscar de la Renta’s overlijden regeerde de redactieburelen én modeland afgelopen week, waar celebrities, modellen, redacteuren en anderen die met De la Renta hebben samengewerkt massaal treuren om het nieuws. Dertien quotes die zijn persoon omschrijven.
OVER ZIJN JEUGD
1. ‘I was surrounded by sisters. My childhood was all women.’
OVER DE TIJDGEEST
2. ‘Now is the most exciting time in fashion. Women are controlling their destiny now, the consumer is more knowledgeable, and I have to be better every single day.’
3. ‘Although I have no plans to tweet, I am fascinated by developments on the Internet.’
4. ‘When I started, the woman went to the store to buy a dress. She saw it in pink and red, and then she remembered that the husband, who is probably going to pay for the dress, loves it in pink. So she buys the pink. Today, the same woman goes to the store and remembers the husband likes pink, and she buys the red.’
OVER ZIJN WERK
5. ‘I am not interested in shock tactics. I just want to make beautiful clothes.’
6. ‘There is always an emotional element to anything that you make.’
7. ‘Regardless of how good or bad a collection might be, it’s a letdown after the show is over. It’s done. Something you’ve worked on for months is just over.’
OVER DE MODESEIZOENEN
8. ‘I do not have one theme for each season, I just try to make beautiful clothes all year round.’
9. ‘If you want to establish an international presence you can’t do so from New York. You need the consecration of Paris.’
OVER ZIJN EIGEN KLEDINGKEUZES
10. ‘I have this complex that if I walk into a place wearing a colorful shirt someone will stop me and say: “I’m sorry, but the Latin band comes through the other door”.’
11. ‘If you wear a different perfume every day, I do not recognise you.’
12. ‘Fashion is about dressing according to what's fashionable. Style is more about being yourself.’
13. 'Walk like you have three men walking behind you.'
Oscar de la Renta werd 82 jaar.